Friday, October 05, 2012

What I'm Doing on the Cello

I am working on the Daniel Demoivre Suite #1 in C Major for Solo Cello. I've read over the Allemande and Gavotte. I don't sound the best that I ever have. I have a long way to go. I'm working out what fingering I like best, and still working on arm strength.

Side note: I never got farther than a decent 2nd position. Despite the efforts of some very good, nay, wonderful teachers. I am now reading up and trying to beat higher positions into my head and hands.

For those of you that haven't heard of Daniel Demoivre he is the younger brother of Abraham Demoivre, the mathematician, and predominately a composer of recorder music. I believe the four suites I have are the only cello pieces he wrote. They aren't really technical but they are good to cut your teeth on.

I've also picked out a Cello Poem by Alexander Papas to work on. The biggest challenge in this one section that goes up into the treble clef. More on this one later.

No comments: