Sunday, February 03, 2008

Where Have All The Strings Gone

I sit here on a Sunday morning reading Cello blogs and wondering where are all the string players (amatuers that is). Where I live I have only been able to find a Violinist and Bass player. The violinist is a biology professor nearby and getting married; she won't be available until after her honeymoon. I haven't even thought about asking the bass because we'd need at least a violin (or two). I could fix up the cello pieces for bass and play the viola pieces myself (fixed up that is).

I miss playing in a chamber orchestra like I did in Atlanta. I actually played in two. Both were church orchestras. It was kind of fun on days when both were performing. Well, at least it got interesting. Up here I know of only one "Orchestra" and I don't know anything about it except the church it is part of. I don't even know if it has any strings. (people like the hi fallutin sound of orchestra more than band) It is also not at my church and most if not all of there performances are for church services. I'll just have to check into it.

Speaking of church I should probably start thinking about getting ready to go.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have an article coming out in Strings magazine that addresses the whole amateur scene, and how it can be hard to find like-minded folks with whom to play. Heck, I'm a pro, and it's like pulling teeth to get a casual group of 3 other players to read through some quartets. Bribing them with wine and cheese seems to help. :) Anyway, I thought I should hook you up with these guys and see if that makes any difference.